Our activities never stop. We have no paid employees. Our work is done by volunteers
EDUCATION: WE EDUCATE IN MANY FORMS USING MANY MEDIA
- We have created and presented water information to over 2000 people at our own Florida Springs Tie-dye Events.
- Our president has spoken on NPR, and against the Sabal pipeline on TV in Albany, GA.
- Our president has been interviewed by radio stations WMNF in Tampa, and 109.4 in Gainesville.
- We have written many editorials, “In Support of Amendment 1” (Oct. 20, 2014 Lake City Reporter,) “Water Being Sold for Private Gain, Not Public Benefit,” (July 12, Gainesville Sun) and others, in several different newspapers.
- We have established a FaceBook page to share information relative to the Santa Fe and the springs.
- We have created this website www.oursantaferiver.org with over 500 posts about the rivers, springs and environment.
- Our president has given lectures on water conservation in local secondary schools and libraries.
FUNDRAISING: WE ACTIVELY GENERATE FUNDS FOR OSFR
- We have held the annual Song Contest since 2010, with 44 songs about the Santa Fe, written and performed.
- We actively participated in the 2014 High Springs Haunted House charity fund-raiser with many hours of work.
ADVOCACY: WE TAKE ACTION AGAINST THREATS TO THE SPRINGS & RIVER
- We spoke against the Sabal Trail pipeline at many scoping meetings and wrote letters and editorials against it.
- We legally challenged a harmful water withdrawal permit, and for this we were sued.
- We stopped four water bottling plants from coming into the Santa Fe River basin.
- We helped stop a five million gallon per day peaking station in the Waccasassa Flats.
- We stopped private landowners from roping off access to public springs which are part of the SF River.
- We continuously attend water district meetings to request moratoria on excessive withdrawal permits.
- We have traveled to Miami, to Jacksonville to Tallahassee to Leesburg, GA and points in between to participate in demonstrations.
- We filed a legal Motion to Intervene against the gas transmission pipeline.
SUPPORT: WE WORK WITH AGENCIES AND GROUPS TO PROTECT THE RIVER AND ENVIRONMENT
- We go to countless meetings representing our state’s legally recognized “Outstanding Florida Waters.”
- We mentor and provide guidance to new groups trying to protect the environment, at our expense.
- We organized and hosted a workshop with Aquifer Watch to test wells for nitrates.
- We support SRWMD in their conservation endeavors, innovations and projects by writing letters and speaking before county government.
- We conceptually created the Monthly Aquifer Report that airs on WCJB CH 20, ABC News affiliate.
- Our president helped write curricula for the unique Water Studies Program that offers a B.S. degree at Gateway College, Lake City, FL.
- We endorsed the Florida Water & Land Legacy Campaign and the Floridian’s Clean Water Declaration Campaign. Our president was a guest speaker at several of these events.
- We organize our own and participate in other groups’ river clean-ups.
- We renovate, clean and repair boat ramps and county parks that are vandalized or neglected.
- We request that local government entities act to establish county or city ordinances and a state-wide resolution to ban fracking for protection of our water, land and air resources.
RECOGNITION: THE COMMUNITY RECOGNIZES OUR CONTRIBUTIONS
- We were featured in a major article in Our Town Magazine, summer, 2013; “Our Santa Fe River – Passionate Local Non-Profit Aims to Protect and Educate.”
- Our president received an award for environmental leadership from Gateway College, Lake City.
- Our president sits on innumerable boards and committees dealing with water quality and conservation.
- Our organization has consulted by local newspapers for comments concerning environmental issues.